IFTTT (an abbreviation of "If This Then That") is a free web-based service that allows users to create chains of simple conditional statements, called "recipes", which are triggered based on changes to other web services and products.
IFTTT integration into Control4 allows Control4 to control any of the products or services integrated into IFTTT and have those products also control Control4.
This expands the integration of Control4 to support numerous functions that it natively does not do. We have listed a few examples of what integration can bring to Control4 below and have also stepped through programming some of the ones we feel are useful to a lot of people. Note that this is a small list of things we liked. There are a lot of other things you can do currently (with lots more coming in future to IFTTT) so we suggest you check out the channels on the IFTTT website.
We are keen to hear about what cool things you have done with the driver. Let us know via twitter, email or forum post.
What can i use this driver for?
These are some examples of what you can achieve with IFTTT integration to Control4 via the Chowmain IFTTT maker driver.
Outbound Examples (Control4 > IFTTT)
- Control your white good appliances such as ovens, dish washers, washing machinese, dryers and robot vacuum cleaners. (see guide linked below)
- Control4 can send SMS’s via your Android phone (IF app must be downloaded to the phone)
- Control4 can call your phone number and say a message (for security alarms, smoke alarms and other emergencies).
- Control4 can save data about the events in your home in google docs or dropbox.
- Control4 can save data about the events in your home to IFTTT’s daily or weekly email digest.
- Control4 can send emails out without 4sight or 3rd party driver
- Control4 can send push notifications out without 4sight or 3rd party driver (using pushalot, pushbullet or pushover)
- Control4 can send Skype messages
- Control4 can send Google Glass notifications (with Message, Image URL and URL fields).
- Control4 can send notifications to your Android wear device (requires IF app installed).
- Control4 can send your BMW (Connected Drive Compatible) a message on your car’s front screen display (120 characters limited)
- Control4 can find lost items (needs tags) or phones (call your phone).
- Control4 can send your Tesla (EVE enabled) a message (with subject, message and message type fields) on your car’s dashboard
- Control4 can turn on or off your GE Smart Appliance and more.
- Control4 can tell your Android phone to turn on/off Bluetooth or wifi (might be useful when you’re leaving or coming back home).
- Tell the world via Facebook what your home is upto (might not be a good idea).
- When batteries are low on your Control4 sensors add a reminder to your IOS reminders app.
Inbound Examples (IFTTT > Control4)
- Get Feedback from your white good appliances such as ovens, dish washers, washing machinese, dryers and robot vacuum cleaners. (see guide linked below)
- Amazon Alexa (Amazon Echo, Tap, etc) can send commands to Control4 via voice recognition to do things like turn lights on, play music, house off and more.
- Microsoft Cortana can send commands to Control4 via voice recognition to do things like turn lights on to 60%, set thermostat to 70 degrees, house off and more. (see guide linked below)
- Google Home & Pixel can send commands to Control4 via voice recognition to do things like turn lights on to 60%, set thermostat to 70 degrees, house off and more. (see guide linked below)
- Assissant.ai can send commands to Control4 via voice recognition
- Control4 can read out stock prices or notify you when they raise or lower (requires Chowmain Advanced Announcements Driver)
- Control4 can pause your music and videos when you answer your phone (android only)
- Control4 can read out tweets when someone mentions you on twitter (requires Chowmain Advanced Announcements Driver)
- Control4 can detect if a specific person has entered or left a room/zone using beacons.
- iOS Location and Android Location (via the IF app) can tell Control4 when you are approaching or leaving home.
- Send a warning to Control4 when something has been picked up or moved (needs wireless tag)
- Your BMW (Connected Drive Compatible) can tell Control4 when it is entering or exiting an area.
- Your EVE enabled Tesla car can tell Control4 when it has arrived home, is leaving home or on the way home.
- Your Automatic, Zubie or Dash enabled car can tell Conrol4 when you have turned the car on or off within a certain area.
- Your GE, LG and Samsung Smart appliances can tell Control4 when it has been turned on, off, if for example an oven timer is done, if there is a leak in the dishwasher, if the filter needs cleaning, if the dryer cycle has finished, if the fridge door has been left open for too long,
- Your Nest Protect smoke alarm can send Control4 smoke emergency, warning and carbon monoxide emergencies
- Your Netatmo Welcome can tell Control4 when a specific person, known person or even an unknown person has been seen or arrives home (facial recognition)
- Your Roost Smart Battery can tell Control4 (via the announcement agent) when its battery is low (Great for smoke alarms).
- Control Control4 via SMS or phone call to IFTTT.
- Have Control4 read out your meetings (including subject, body & location) on outlook 365 calendar or Google calendar 15 minutes before the meeting (requires Chowmain Advanced Announcements driver)
- If the temperature (via weather forecast/conditions) changes in your area tell Control4 to do something.
- Your Android phone can tell Control4 when it has connected or disconnected to/from a specific Wifi network.
- Change the colours of your RGB LED’s to your teams colour using the ESPN channel when the game starts.
Any other cool things about this driver?
This driver actually replaces alof of functionality that is native to Control4 but requires a subscription and also implements products and services that alot of other 3rd party paid drivers integrate. As such in certain cases its actually cheaper to utilise this one driver for integration over multiple services/products.
How do i integrate White Good Appliances?
We have update our experience button suite to add various appliance icons. These icons can be used for ON/OFF control and feedback of white good devices. Use the suite in conjunction with the IFTTT driver for integration of white good appliances integrated to IFTTT. See PDF for details.
How do i integrate Google Home?
We have updated the driver to support Google Home's number variable system and have written a document that goes through some examples on how to program Control4 to work with Google Home.
How does it work?
Control4 will send IFTTT triggers to IFTTT based on programming done by the Control4 dealer. IFTTT will send commands back to Control4 via a 3rd party service called pushover. When Control4 receives these commands the dealer needs to program Control4 actions to correspond to the command sent. Please read the installation PDF for specific details.
Why do you only support OS 2.6 and above?
OS 2.6 offers a superior security encryption algorithm and a new and improved driver format. We have decided to only utilise this new format to ensure that the integrity of this driver is not compremised and that we can provide the best dealer/user experience available.
Do you offer showroom discounts?
We offer dealers a free showroom licence for demonstration and educational purposes. See link below for T&C's and signup procedure.
I want to try this driver out before buying it?
All Chowmain drivers for Control4 come with a 90 day trial. Just add the driverCentral licencing driver and this driver and you're good to go. No registration required.
Version #20210119 - 19-JAN-2021
* Updated to new Driver Central licensing
Version #20200402 – 02-APR-2020
* Fixed issue where lua was turning msgid number into scientific notation. This causes old messages to not delete.
Version #20180608 – 08-JUN-2018
* Updated to fix variables not appearing in latest Control4 OS version.
Version #20171102 – 02-NOV-2017
* Fixed issue where director restarts require reentering of username and password
Version #20170710 - 10-JUL-2017
* Migrated to driverCentral.
Version #20161203 - 03-DEC-2016
* Improved reconnection algorithm if websocket disconnects
* Removed remaining messages property (this doesn't effect the driver as it doesn't use a pushover application).
* Added new property (TITLE - Output in lower case). If this is set to true then it will convert the title to lower case. This will make programming easier.
* Added new property (MESSAGE - Output in lower case). If this is set to true then it will convert the message to lower case. This will make programming easier.
* Added new property (TITLE - Words to truncate). This is a comma seperated list of words/phrases to truncate eg the,lights,thermostat. This will make programming easier.
* Added new property (MESSAGE - Words to truncate). This is a comma seperated list of words/phrases to truncate eg the,lights,thermostat. This will make programming easier.
Version #20161026 - 26-OCT-2016
* Added duplicate variables for title and message in number variable format. Will only change if the values are interger only. This allows us to integrate Google Home.
Version #20160818 - 18-AUG-2016
* Intial Release