Tuya enabled products are everywhere. You may not recognise the name but the technology is embedded in many brands for off the shelf home automation / IoT solutions that you can find at your local Home Depot, Walmart, Bunnings, K-Mart, Costco and other retailers.
Tuya provides a leading global IoT platform that enables manufacturers, brands, OEMs and retail chains to develop one-stop smart home solutions. To-date, Tuya has empowered 384,000 developers in over 220 countries and regions who are delivering over 410,000 Powered by Tuya products, ranking the first in the industry, including lighting, appliances, entertainment and security solutions.
The Chowmain Tuya agent integrates Tuya enabled devices into Control4 for bi-directional control and feedback.
Chowmain has integrated the Wifi Tuya enabled Smart Home products into Control4 with two way control and feedback. This provides affordable easy to retrofit solutions for a wide range of devices from a variety of brands that utilise the Tuya architecture for bi-directional control and feedback.
- Bi-directional control / feedback
- Supported Device Types Include
- CLIMATE - These are HVAC based devices which can include thermostats, split systems, wall furnaces, portable air conditioners, oil heaters and more providing the ability to change HVAC modes, humidity, fan speeds and setpoints with room temperature feedback.
- BLINDS - These are up, down, stop based devices which can include blinds, curtains and projection screens
- FAN - These are multi speed fan devices which can include ceiling fans, tower fans and floor fans.
- LIGHT - These are lighting products which can include on/off lighting loads, dimmable loads and RGB/W loads such as on-wall switches/dimmers, bulbs, strips, spotlights, garden lights, Christmas lights and more. Setting of LED colors is also supported
- SWITCH - These are on/off devices which can include relays, on/off lighting loads, smart plugs, power boards, air purifiers, aroma diffusers, kettles, robot vacuum cleaners and more.
- GENERIC - Support for "Utility"/Generic devices which collect information, or allow access
- The agent logs into your Tuya account scans all available devices.
- Auto polls for feedback every 220 seconds. Control is instantaneous. For faster poll rates, subscription services are available from Tuya
- Supports OEM manufacturer apps (not just Tuya and Smart Life apps)
What cool products can i integrate with Tuya?
- Robot Vacuum cleaners can start and return to charger with a simple on/off control (using the SWITCH driver).
- Blind automation is now more affordable than even thanks to the numerous tuya enabled curtain rails, blind motors, blind controllers and more reducing the price of shading down dramatically.
- Air purifier (PM2.5) based integration is now possible with on/off control.
- Smart Kettles can now be controlled!
- Outdoor IR Patio Heaters can now be controlled.
Where can i buy Tuya enabled products?
Many of these products are available to purchase from onshelf / online retailers such as
- Best Buy
- Sam's Club
- and others
Note that these are not branded as Tuya but may contain the powered by Tuya logo on it.
What brands utilise Tuya?
Tuya has over 90,000 product SKUs with 500 types of products servicing 220 countries around the world with over 180,000 brand partners. Brand partners include (but not limited to)
- Brilliant SMART
- CE Smart Home
- Connect SmartHome
- Commercial Electric
- Curv 360
- Eva Logik
- Home Awesome
- LE LampUX
- Martin Jerry
- Starfish by SATCO
- TCP Smart
Additional brands can be found via the link below
Are there any other important things to note?
- The driver only supports wifi based Tuya products at the moment. Zigbee, IR and Bluetooth devices are not supported.
- V2 of the Tuya Driver offers many benefits over the original driver, including access to a wider range of functionality using variables, increased feedback performance (with the option to subscribe to Tuya Cloud services to further increase the performance to realtime speeds) and support using the official API which offers long term support.
- V1 and V2 drivers are NOT intercompatible. New V2 Devices will need to be reconfigured in Control4
- Note This is built as a Control4 Agent and will only work on Control4 OS 3.2.0 and above.
- Note This solution is cloud based and as such requires an active internet connection for operation. The latest information on maximum supported devices and pricing is available on: https://developer.tuya.com/en/docs/iot/membership-service?id=K9m8k45jwvg9j
- This is built as a Control4 Agent and will only work on Control4 OS 3.1.3 and above.
- This solution is cloud based and as such requires an active internet connection for operation.
- Not all commands are exposed. However, almost all are accessible using read/write variables via programming or by combining drivers
Do you offer showroom discounts?
We offer dealers a free showroom licence for demonstration and educational purposes. See link below for T&C's and signup procedure.
I want to try this driver out before buying it?
All Chowmain drivers for Control4 come with a 90 day trial. Just add the driverCentral licencing driver and this driver and you're good to go. No registration required.
Version 20211215 [STABLE]
- Minor fixes
Version 20211124 [BETA]
- Add On/Off Commands (Generic) - Thanks Jackson Matthews
- Variables in Some cases do not persist post controller Reboot.. Fixed (All) - Thanks Jackson Matthews
- Improve Device Advanced Variables behavior (All)
- Revert Auto-detection of Codes functionality (All)
- Add Sanity Check Before AutoSetup. You will now be required to install all c4z files before AutoSetup Starts (Cloud)
Version 20211112 [STABLE]
- Bug Fix for Fan driver (Fan)
Version 20211111 [STABLE]
This is a groundbreaking/major new release with the following new features:
- Fast Feedback / Device Status Notifications (requires additional configuration): Feedback from devices is now received by the device almost instantly. To configure, refer to documentation or watch the QuickStart Video Tutorial. This substantially improves usability and enables the use of Tuya for new applications such as WIFI enabled PIR's or using keypad buttons to trigger control4 commands
- Blind Level Support (requires configuration): Allows users to select an exact position of the blind (such as 55% closed). Please note, extensive testing of blinds is strongly recommended (some blinds may not be supported). By default, Open/Stop/Down is enabled, and level support must be enabled by installer.
- New Sensor Subdriver: This driver is optimised for triggering Control4 actions from Tuya via RELAY, Button links or contact closure. It supports all boolean, Integer and enumeration variables (and similar to our other drivers, exposes them as Control4 variables), and provides easy access to announcement triggers. It is strongly recommended that Device Status Notifications is enabled.
- Version 20211111 introduces:
- QuickStart Video Tutorial
- Improved Documentation
- Minor bug fixes
- For a full list of features, refer to the BETA release notes below. We recommend upgrading endusers to this version and configuring the new functionality.
Version 20211103 [BETA]
- Improve Token Processing (Agent) - Thanks Mitch Greenfield
- Fix Notifications LUA Error (Agent)
Version 202110229 [BETA]
- [NEW-DRIVER] New Sensor SUBDRIVER!!!
- Introducing our brand new Sensor Subdriver. This driver is optimised for triggering Control4 actions from Tuya via RELAY, Button links or contact closure. It supports all boolean, Integer and enumeration variables (and similar to our other drivers, exposes them as Control4 variables).
- One click access to announcements is included. Trigger an announcement such as a doorbell when a PIR is triggered or a button is pressed
- As with all of our Tuya drivers, it can be mixed or matched with any driver or device as required
- We Strongly recommend enabling Status Notifications to use this driver (introduced in 20211027. Requires additional configuration)
Version 20211028 [BETA]
- [FEATURE] Add Support for Blinds Discrete Levels (Blinds):
- This feature enables control of Blind levels, to allow users to select an exact position (such as 55% closed).
- To Enable, simply set the Level Code in the Blind driver and refresh navigators
- There are some caveats:
- Levels in Tuya App and Control4 are opposite (100% in Tuya app is 0% in Control4)
- Notifications / Fast Update should be enabled in the Cloud driver and IOT.Tuya.com before using this feature. Otherwise, the level will be consistently incorrect (and users may be unable to access the relevent Open/close Command)
- Some blind controllers do not correctly change the blind level when using Open / Close / Stop commands from the tuya app, or when using the Open/Close/Stop physical buttons on the unit.
- Despite the appearance of a changing percentage in the tuya app, the server may not actually send the new level
- This can be avoided by exclusively using Control4 with Levels or only the Level functionality in the Tuya App.
- Please test the level functionality extensively, to ensure it's suitable for your requirements. If in doubt, we recommend using Toggle instead
Version 20211027 [BETA]
- [MAJOR-FEATURE] Add Notifications / Fast Update Support (All):
- This new feature adds device Notifications for instant feedback (instead of relying on polling). This allows huge new functionality, and some of the following benefits:
- Almost instant feedback on most devices (even when activated by the device itself)
- Wifi PIR sensors and more advanced wifi smart home products can now be utilised which rely on fast feedback
- Tuya devices like switches could be used to trigger Control4 commands
- Greatly reduced API calls may be required in many cases (to reduce API calls, slow the polling rate). The Trial version includes 68000 "notifications" for free (after which Polling should still operate)
- To enable Notifications:
- On IOT.tuya.com
- Go to Cloud, My Services
- Search for Device Status Notification
- Subscribe (Trial or paid), and ensure your project is authorized under authorized projects
- Go to Cloud, Message Service
- Enable Message Service
- You may be asked to select a server to use.
- Ensure all options are enabled
- Enable Message Queue
- Enable Alert Contact if you wish (it is not required, and most installers should not set this)
- Wait for activation to be complete
- In the driver, select your notification server region in the cloud driver
- Only send Power on once when no HVAC modes are selected (Climate)\
Version 20211008 [STABLE]
- Remove Temperature Scaling Factor. Replaced with new Custom Scaling capabilities (Thermostat)
- Add/Remove Custom Scaling Factor Actions (All Drivers except agent)
- Allows a much greater range of flexibility,
- Migration of old Temperature Scaling Factor is Performed automatically. Increase range (please note, not all will be supported). Controller may need a reboot
- AC Climate range is too limited. (Climate)
- Codes are received correctly with scale. Sending incorrectly ignores scale. Fixed.
Version 20211007 [STABLE]
- Fix crash on driver load (All except Agent)
- Increase HVAC Temperature resolution to 0.1 (Climate)
- Other Misc Fixes (All)
Version 20211004 [STABLE]
- Add Submit Diagnostics (All)
- Add "Correct Server" Hint as Label (Agent).
- Debug improvements (All)
Version 20210912 [BETA]
- Add On/off Button Links (Lights with Dimming capabilities)
Add Dimming Capabilities to Button links (Lights with Dimming Capabilities)
Version 20210910-1 [BETA]
- Fix Icon Paths (Generic, lights)
- Add new detection codes for Dimmer (Dimmer,Cloud)
- Auto-Rename driver when using Select From List
Version 20210910 [BETA]
- Tuya also have fans which use numbers, not text.. Add Support for both (Fan)
- Fix Variable Scaling on all variables (All subdrivers)
- Improve Read-Only Variable logic and Display of Variables (All Subdrivers)
- Further refine Auto-Setup Logic to support more devices (Agent)
- Add Refresh Device Variables to allow support for new functionality in device firmware (Agent)
Version 20210909 [BETA]
- Remove Manufacturer Field. Replace with Temperature Scaling Factor which works on other devices too (Climate)
- Improve Auto-Setup climate detection
Version 20210903 [BETA]
- Can Fan Property Removed (due to the driver design, it is not required) (Climate)
- Switch Can Cool, Can Heat, Can Auto Properties to True / False instead. Some Climate units cannot handle this dynamically (Climate)
- Add Select Driver From List for greater usability (All Drivers)
Version 20210901-1 (BETA)
- Beca Climate devices present incorrect temperature information. Provide workaround
- Some devices may not have an exposed thermostat. Allow installers to show the target temperature instead as the current temperature
Version 20210901 (BETA)
- Add Humidity Capabilities in Climate Driver (Requires Controller restart if upgrading from previous Beta)
- Default Poll Rate is now 220
Version 20210827 (BETA)
- Fix LUA Error during some invalid connections
- Fix Token system (Intermittent Sign Invalid errors).
Version 20210816 (BETA)
- Minor Bug Fixes
Version 20210813 (BETA)
- Don't override blank codes. Only auto set codes once. All drivers.
- Further Improvements to JSON Handling. Treat command as instantaneous to rectify Color Lighting issues, where someone may change different values of HSV before the previous has been processed. If command ends up failing, revert to the last known value
- Fix Enhanced button links in various drivers
- v2 driver rewrite from scratch. Not compatible with original driver. Needs full reinstall due to architectural change and new API released. Note old API will be deprecated.
- Fixed issue with lighting scenes for on/off lighting devices for on scenes.
- Fixed state feedback for RGBW driver.
- Added support for beca thermostats (the math is different)
- Fixed advanced lighting scenes for lighting drivers.
- Fixed issue with toggle command for RGBW driver.
- Fixed issue with get connected state and get light level for lighting drivers.
- Initial Release